I found the following facts very interesting. And increasing my water intake has helped tremendously with my fatigue.
- 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
- 83% of Americans know they don’t drink enough water.
- Thirst in the mouth is only one of many indicators of dehydration.
- Thirst in the mouth sensations decrease significantly after age 30.
- By the time you are thirsty you are already dehydrated. Drink before you are thirsty.
- Drink twice as much as it takes to quench your thirst.
- Blood is 92% water. Brain is 75% water. Lungs are 90% water. Muscles are 75% water.
Health/Wellness and Disease
- 5 glasses of water/day: decreases risk of breast cancer by 79%, colon cancer by 45% and bladder cancer by 50%.
- Chronic dehydration causes: asthma, arthritis, kidney stones, gall stones, hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, weight gain, migraines, loss of muscle tone and digestive complications.
- 8-10 glasses/day can significantly ease back and joint pain for 80% of sufferers.
- Water greatly increases the efficiency of the immune system in bone marrow, including its efficiency against cancer.
- Water helps reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and Lou Gehrig’s disease.
- Water helps prevent glaucoma.
- Water reduces the incidence of morning sickness in pregnancy.
Performance and Focus
- Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue and performance reduction.
- A 2% drop in body fluid causes a 20% reduction in mental and physical performance.
- Water helps reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
- Water restores normal sleep rhythms.
Diet and Weight
- Even mild dehydration will slow metabolism as much as 3%—fewer calories burned.
- 1 glass of water shuts down midnight hunger for almost 100% of dieters.
- In 38% of Americans the thirst mechanism is so weak that thirst is mistaken for hunger.
- Adequate hydration relieves constipation and reduces fluid retention.
Aging and Beauty
- Aging is essentially dehydration.
- Water makes skin smooth and helps decrease the effects of aging.
- Water gives luster and shine to the eyes.
- Water decreases premenstrual pains and hot flashes.
- Dehydration prevents sex hormone production, a primary cause of impotence and loss of libido.