Sunday, January 27, 2013
How does a lack of sun affect us?
Sunshine affects the brain via the interaction of the chemicals melatonin and serotonin, as well as vitamin D. When sunlight hits your eyes, your optic nerve sends a message to the gland in the brain that produces melatonin (a hormone that helps you sleep); the gland decreases its secretions of melatonin until the sun goes down again. The opposite happens with the chemical serotonin; when you're exposed to sun, your brain increases serotonin (a hormone connected with feelings of happiness and wakefulness) production. And when the ultraviolet rays from sunshine touch your skin, your body produces vitamin D, which helps you maintain serotonin levels. Generally, we're asleep or feeling slowed down during the dark hours, and physically and emotionally up during the day. This is the human circadian rhythm. We are able to function against these biological rhythms when we must (as night-shift workers do), but it can be hard on our bodies and minds. When we go without sunshine, we can even get seasonal affective disorder (SAD); people who suffer from this disorder get depressed during the times when there's not much sun, although they're typically fine in the warmer, sunnier months of the year. SAD is most prevalent in places where there are scant sunlit hours in the winter (such as Alaska) or where it's overcast for extended periods (parts of the U.S. Northwest). SAD can often be treated with phototherapy that exposes the patient to full-spectrum light, which may be sunlight or artificial light.
Being out in the sun isn't enough by itself, though. We have to soak in the sun's rays. But we've been taught to put on sunscreen whenever we go outside, and there are downsides to the use of sun-blocking chemicals. Our bodies need to be exposed to some full-spectrum sunshine - at least 15 minutes of undiluted sun three times a week [source: USA Today]. The ultraviolet rays of the sun make our bodies produce vitamin D, which is thought to help protect us from various types of cancer and helps us build a store of the vitamin to last through the dark winter months. In addition, vitamin D helps our brains make more serotonin. If we slather our skin with sunblock every time we step out the door, we're cutting down on vitamin D and its benefits.
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (598)
- This Man is a Korean guy named Heo Gyungyoung
- 나로호를 뛰어넘는 축구의 위력ㄷㄷㄷㄷ
- arab turkish greek all we are same to music commen...
- Romans were Mediterranean comment
- How does a lack of sun affect us?
- Benefits of Sunlight: A Bright Spot for Human Heal...
- 백제의 문화는 일본에 잘 보존되어 있다. comment
- 90년대는 살기가 좋았다.
- 테니스가 스포츠 중에서 세계 인기 2위고, 개인 스포츠 중에서는 인기 1위다. commen...
- 말레이시아는 살기 좋은 나라 comment
- 우리나라 역사는 경상도 위주
- Ainu people are Greek
- Arabic language is from Greek
- 조코비치 글루텐 행운 어떤 영양학자가 알려줘
- 페이 중국 댄스 상위 5개 엘리트 무용학교 출신 경쟁률 1억대 1임 comment
- North Africans are known as Libyans by the Greek
- Greek and Romans are E1b1b comment
- Roman and Greek are E1b1b comment
- E1b1b1a is not jews comment
- Portugal E1b1b 12 percent=E-M81+other subclades
- R1b is from africa
- E1b1b paternel ancestor still lived for sure in Af...
- Ancient Romans and Greeks belong to E1b1b group th...
- 뇌 신경세포는 밤낮이 바뀌는 것을 극도로 싫어한다.
- Hebrew is Greek comment
- Greece means greatness comment
- Italians came from greek comment
- 한국 좌파 신문의 유럽 국가들 얕보기
- 중세 유럽 나라들을 내리 까는 전형적인 한국 동양인의 거짓말
- 중국은 한족의 나라다
- 전문직을 가지신후 머리를 굴리면서 편하게 일하던지
- French is beautiful language
- France military tech is 30 years ahead of the US
- Islam gave blacks freedom arrogance comment
- 2011년 현재 각나라의 단순노동 최저임금 시급
- Ancient Greeks were full Mediterranean
- Italians are from Greek
- Balkans are not the same as the Europeans of the w...
- Greece and Turkey are descendants of these first E...
- Celt came from Iberia comment
- romans were greek comment
- NO!!! Europeans are NOT Greek!!! comment
- Italians in Early Roman times were Indo-European(D...
- Real Italians are originally dark comment
- Italian immigrants influenced Mexican culture comm...
- 일본라멘 가게에서 아르바이트 할 수 있다.
- 호주서 초대형 맥주폭풍 일어나!
- 십자군 전쟁에 관한 꿈을 꾼후 십자군 전쟁 관련 역사 찿아보고 너무 놀랬음
- 개슬람 인구 10%되면 분리독립 내전
- TOYOTA는 원래 트럭 업체로 출발
- romanos es mediterraneos(Romans were mediterranean...
- ▼ January (51)
- ► 2012 (1516)
- ► 2011 (1293)