Wertheim: "how many times Nadal has won the year-end shebang? (Hint: zero, because his body can't last the entire season, and durability is part of "greatness.")"
One of the biggest myths about Nadal is
that his body is not durable and cannot last the entire season... and
therefore he cannot show up or win the World Tour Finals year-end
championships. This indoor championship is not just historically the
fifth most signficant title in tennis (only after the four majors), it
is the ultimate gladiatorial battle between the world very best players.
Winnig the year-end championship thus validates the champion's
greatness and domination over the year's very best players.
excuse for Nadal fails the smell test. The facts indicate that the more
logical reason why Nadal hasn't won it is because he is relatively
incompetent on indoor hardcourts and uses 'injury' excuses to avoid this
major event and downplay his losses. The facts are:
truth, Nadal has been a highly durable player. Nadal has already played
750 matches, the sixth most career matches among all active players. The
top five players on the list are all at least 31 years old: Nadal just
needs 71 more matches to tie Tommy Haas for second place! Nadal is very
durable when he chooses to be: his 'lack of durability' rarely appears
during the clay season (except when he loses, and then he uses injury as
Yet, despite his continual whining about being injured, Nadal has never
had surgery for any injury in his career (unlike many other more
seriously-injured players), indicating that none of his injuries and
injury breaks have been really that serious. It's more plausible to
consider that, since 2005, the very smart Team Nadal has been making
Nadal take preventative shut-downs during undesirable periods of the
season (on surfaces he is likely to incur losses). If Nadal had showed
up for more indoor events -- like Federer did for clay events -- Rafa
might have lost more matches to Federer.
(c) Nadal's World Tour
Finals win-loss record is an abysmal 9-10 (47%) -- and that's when he
showed up most-prepared to compete. Nadal was absent in three different
years -- had he showed up he probably would have had even more losses
against the world's top 8 players who were mostly hardcourt specialists.
Nadal's worst surface is indoor hardcourt: deducting Nadal's 9 indoor
clay wins, his indoor hardcourt/carpet win-loss is ony 47-29 or 61.8%
for around 60th place in the ATP era. The more versatile Federer's worst
surface clay is still 77%, good for 11th in ATP era (Federer has
reached 23 clay finals, winning 10 clay titles).
(e) How can
Nadal qualify for greatness if he is relatively incompetent on indoor
hardcourts? All the GOATs in tennis history were great indoor players,
and tennis the game has its roots from the indoor game played centuries
ago. Even clay king Bjorn Borg found a way to win 23 hardcourt/carpet
titles, including three (3) year-end championships. Nadal's lack of
success on indoor hardcourts is a red flag on his GOAT aspirations.
2008 Fall, Nadal skipped the World Tour Finals (Tennis Masters Cup) in
Shanghai citing fatigue. One week later he skipped the Davis Cup Finals
in Argentina claiming his knees were injured.
- Nadal cited
fatigue as his reason for skipping the 2008 WTF. Yet in his previous two
indoor tournaments in October (Paris Masters, Madrid Masters were his
only events after the 2008 US Open) he played doubles with Juan Monaco
and Carlos Moya each time -- so obviously he wasn't that tired, or he
would not have played doubles both times. Perhaps the real reason he
stayed away from was that -- after losing to Gilles Simon in Madrid and
Davydenko in Paris -- then No. 1 Nadal realized he had lost form since
the 2008 Olympics and was likely to fail at the World tour Finals. So he
stayed away rather than risk 2 to 3 losses in the WTF round robin
tarnishing his image of invulnerability. [Compare Nadal's attitude with
Federer, who has played two away Davis Cup ties in Australia which is a
much longer travel distance: days after losing a heart-breaking US Open
semifinal to Djokovic in 2011, Federer traveled to Sydney to battle
Hewitt and Tomic on Australian grass in the middle of the hardcourt
- in his entire career, Nadal has never ever bothered to
travel for an away Davis Cup tie outside Europe, not even for critical
ties against USA or the DC Finals. After claiming to be fatigued one
week before the WTF, Nadal later claimed his knees were injured so he
couldn't fly to Argentina to play the Davis Cup Finals. Meanwhile, on
the eve of the Davis Cup Finals, Davis was seen vigorously playing water
sports (water skiiing, doughnut boat, etc.) in a luxury Mauritious
resort (see link for photos). Obviously his 'injured knees' were not so
injured that it immediately required intensive treatment and rehab.
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (598)
- In France, Portuguese are seen as light people
- Italians are more hairly than Spanish
- 스페인 사람들은 라틴족의 후예들이다.
- 뜨거운 여름, 피부 온도 31도로 유지하는 8가지 방법
- arrogant Nadal cheat
- Karlovic is the greatest and fastest server of all...
- Ask Mike: Why do zombies love to eat brains?
- Arrogant Nadal cheat
- Super Moon happens every years comment
- The Super moon with the weird cloud: same experien...
- In the draws of 20 of these 23 slams: Federer got ...
- 니케아 콘스탄티노플 신경
- Obese decreases lung function.
- mono virus can lead to CFS
- Mono is a serious illness
- You can trade counter trend from major levels
- 10 Signs You're Gluten Intolerant
- 10 Healing Benefits of the Sun
- the differences between the northern and southern ...
- 프랑스, 이탈리아, 스페인 이런 나라들이 살만한 나라다.
- Italians voted best looking but bald, old are OK t...
- 책사풍후는 1985년생이다.
- SLEEP PARALYSIS AND THE INCUBUS SPIRIT
- 멸치 육수는 일본의 영향이다.
- 강아지에 대해 몰랐던 사실 7가지.txt
- Anti Pope Francis 1 said It seems that my brother ...
- In 2005 Fall, Federer suffered a serious injury
- World Tour Final is the most important tournament ...
- Pirlo is the one of the best play maker in the foo...
- Anatolia is a recent made up term to replace geogr...
- Americans are racists because asians are the most ...
- The Best And Worst College Degrees For Your Money
- Italians are darker than portuguese
- The facial proportions of beautiful people
- Many Romans believed that fair features were beaut...
- Roman frescoes white complexion women while men d...
- im from lebanon but i live in usa my dna is from 7...
- Anatolians are Greek
- Germanic settled in italia seperated themselves fo...
- Trade school and career colleges > regular colleg...
- some comepanies wont even give you an interview i...
- you must go to college
- Roger beat Nadal 5 times out of last 7 matches bef...
- Arrogant Nadal cheated in French Open 2013 against...
- slow down fast court because federer own everythin...
- Arrogant Nadal cheats in French Open 2013 again
- Roger Federer VS Rafael Nadal
- Tennis Organizers fix everything for Arrogant Nada...
- arrogant Nadal cheat in 2013 French Open against D...
- Arrogant Nadal deny He never cheated when he has d...
- Arrogant Nadal cheat in 2013 French Open against D...
- Federer No. 2 Among World's Highest-Paid Athletes
- 만성 염증의 실체] 암·심장병 일으키는 만성 염증, 당신 온몸에 퍼지고 있다.
- Dark Portuguese are descendant of Italians(Romans)...
- GWAS Study is based on over 313,000 SNP
- Italians are darker than Portuguese
- Portuguese are lighter than Italians comment
- Marriage between moors and iberian natives was ve...
- Simao is a morrocan immigrant
- roman art show ancient romans were mediterraneans
- Sicillians are not darker than average southern It...
- Italians are dark and indians are light
- Italians are darker than mexicans
- Jews are white
- E1b1b in North European
- Muslim(Moor) occupation had such little impact on ...
- TRUE AND FULL ANCESTRY is AUTOSOMAL DNA, not haplo...
- just about all Iberian mt-DNA is European
- E1b1b in North Italians
- Muslim invasion had very little genetic impact on ...
- M-81 in Iberia, as in many other places in Europe,...
- Romans populated more overall in Portugal than in ...
- Italians are similar to Greeks and Spaniards are s...
- Berber-origin Haplogroup E is only about half of t...
- J1b M365 is only found in portugal
- E1b1b in spain was spreaded by Romans from Italy
- Celtic Origin
- Ancient Italia Map
- Eastern I1* and R1b1b
- Haplogroup J2a1 Origins in Greece?
- Spain is the home of Celts
- prevailing eastward-only bias and pinpoint the ori...
- Spain is homeland of British Celts
- ancestors of ireland may have been Basques who are...
- Many believe this group crossed over from Africa a...
- Spain has about 1% L (African mtDNA) which is comp...
- ancient Italian tribe Raetic was not Indo European...
- Genetic history of Italy
- Sub-Saharan L lineages don't appear in North Afric...
- friuli ven giulia is lighter than rest of italia a...
- Italians are darker than portuguese
- Mediterranean Race
- Pope Leo XIII's Prayer to St. Michael
- Federer Vs Nadal
- Actually, the Romans considered themselves separat...
- Romans are known for being short
- At the end of the Western Roman Empire,an influx o...
- Dionysius of Halicarnassus says the Romans were a ...
- The Consuls of Rome took care of Italy? Italy was ...
- ▼ June (110)
- ► 2012 (1516)
- ► 2011 (1293)