The Fayum, a flourishing metropolitan community in ancient Egypt, consisted of Greeks, Egyptians, Syrians, Libyans, and others. A significant Greek population had settled in Egypt following its conquest by Alexander, eventually adopting the customs of the Egyptians. This included mummifying their dead. A portrait of the deceased, painted either in the prime of life or after death, was placed over the person's mummy as a memorial. These are the only surviving encaustic works from ancient times. It is notable how fresh the color has remained due to the protection of the wax. History of Encaustic Art
^My only point is that it is much, much more complex than trying to
attribute it to a "predominant Egyptian population" and greek
minorities, or "instead" of being Greeks, they were this. By all
indication they were Greek more than anything, let's be realistic.
1. It was a Greek custom 2. They identified as Greek 3. The
population consisted of many different ethnic groups, no body noted as
predominating but it is noted that a significant Greek population
migrated to the Fayum and started the custom. 4. They took local wives.
The fact that Syrians, Lybians, and Egyptians, and others all coexisted
there, "local" does not have to indicate Egyptian unless specified. 5.
The Britannica and Egyptologyonline say the exact same thing, that the
consensus among classicists and Art historians are that they were
Greeks.. 6. Walker says they (subjects of the portraits) were
descendants of Greeks who were given land in the Fayum. Then goes on to
say that they took local women and by Roman times, the population of the
Fayum was very mixed. 7. Irish' study of dental traits in burials in
the population indicates that the people he studied weren't actually
related to Greeks at all. 8. I reiterate, Walker says the population was
very mixed by Roman times, and the portraits represented descendants of
Greeks who identified as such, Britannica says that the subjects were
greeks, egyptologyonline says that they were greeks, encaustic.ca
indicates Greek custom and notes a significant greek population, among a
complex gestalt other peoples..
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (599)
- 적당량의 비타민 C, 멜라토닌, 알파라이포익산 등 항산화 보충제
- 설탕을 많이 먹는 사람은 당뇨병과 암에 걸릴 확률이 높다.
- Vitamin C is normally deposited in the skin
- Germans are the most mixed people in Europe
- 운동을 강하게 하면 성장호르몬이 분비가 많아진다
- 아침에 일어나서 해를 본 뒤 15시간이 지나면 뇌에서 수면호르몬인 멜라토닌이 분비
- Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study find...
- Romans described Gauls as having blonde hair
- Spaniards are celts
- French people are dark
- Romans were originally from Greeks
- 미국의 범죄율
- 남북 이탈리아가 사이가 않좋은 이유
- 일반적으로 코르티솔은 잠에서 깬 뒤 30분 이내에 분비되지만 에어컨의 영향을 많이 받은 경...
- 아는 것의 10단계
- Marcus Aurelius is of italian origin
- Ancient Romans are originally from Greeks
- the bust of Julius Caesar is fake
- Mother of Didius Julianus is a North Africans of R...
- Julius Caesar was the usurper
- Roman Art was modified and repainted
- fayuum arts are depicitions of Greek settlers
- 고인돌이 사람을 산채로 태우는 제사의식을 하는 곳
- Romans wore the wigs from Germanic and Celtics to ...
- Yan Zhi Cheng, Chinese Acrobat and Performer, 97" ...
- High calve muscle
- ▼ July (28)
- ► 2012 (1516)
- ► 2011 (1293)