Search This Blog

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Haplogroup Q is brother of Haplogroup R

1798
9th July 2014, 05:45 AM

I'm new to this, so bear with me.

I ordered a kit for my full brother, started with the Y-DNA 12 marker test. After weeks of waiting, FtDNA pins me down to the Q Haplogroup, but decides they need to do further backbone testing. I'm all for accuracy so I wait 8 more weeks for it to finish.

Here's what they say is the final results:

Your Confirmed Haplogroup is Q-M3

Haplogroup Q1a3a1 is the only lineage strictly associated with native American populations. This haplogroup is defined by the presence of the M3 mutation...

Here is my problem -- no one on my paternal side is Native American. I'm the second generation born in the US on my dad's side. My grandfather was born in Germany, his father was born in the same town in Germany, and prior to that it was Austria.

I am not understanding this right? FtDNA specifically says

"Haplogroup Q1a3a1 is the only lineage strictly associated with native American populations."

I'm totally confused at this point. What should I do?

Haplogroup Q is a brother of R so it is not unusual that it is found in Europeans also. I said it a long time ago that I thought that R and Q may have originated in Austria.
 
http://forums.familytreedna.com/archive/index.php/t-35431.html
 
http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=35431

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive